If your registration is expired or will expire within the next 10 days, we
suggest you renew at your Deputy Registrar. If you are renewing more than 7
calendar days past your expiration date, you will be charged a $20.00 Late
Fee. The confirmation provided at the end of your transaction is NOT
authorization to operate your vehicle. You should receive your plates and/or
registration in the mail within 10 business days of your transaction.
To register online, all of the following must be true:
- Your vehicle is currently registered in Ohio.
- Your plate is within 90 days of the expiration date or has not been expired for more than six months.
- You own your vehicle. (Commercial vehicles cannot be renewed online at this time.)
- Your registration matches the name, address and personal information listed on your renewal notice. If your address has changed or you would like your registration/sticker and/or plates mailed to an alternate address, please correct your address and/or county, and then return here to continue with your renewal.
- Your vehicle registration does not require additional documents to complete.
- You have a valid MasterCard, VISA, Discover, American Express or checking account.
- You know your license plate number of the plate you're renewing and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- If your license plates are expired 6 months or more, you must renew at your local deputy registrar's office.
If you have a leased vehicle:
- You may be able to renew online at this time if your leasing company has signed up with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for an electronic POA.
If you begin your renewal process and you receive an error code, your leasing company may not be on file with us.
Please check our current list of Leasing Companies.
Please call them and tell them they may contact the BMV to get signed on with this new service.
If you live in an ECheck county:
- The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency's database updates the Bureau of Motor Vehicles registration records. If there are no problems, your vehicle registration record will update within 24 hours of being tested. If you are receiving ECheck error messages when attempting to renew online, please contact the Oplates Help Desk at 1-866-868-0006 or you may report any issue(s) online by clicking here.
- For more information regarding Ohio's ECheck, please visit Ohio EPA's Web site. You may also reach the EPA by calling 1-800-227-8378.
Click Here to Begin
Copyright® Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Developed and Powered by cboss, Inc.